Driving in the snow? We know that this is not a situation that Brazilians usually face. However, many tourists choose to rent a car when they visit other countries or venture on car trips towards our neighbors, Chile and Argentina. Often, these drivers arrive uninformed and without any technique to drive on roads covered by ice and snow. For further info, click here: best tire chains
Some cautions before hitting the road
1) To ensure your safety when driving in the snow, care starts with preventive maintenance of the car: tires, ignition, battery, radiator, water, oil and brake operation are mandatory items on the checklist of the mechanic responsible for the vehicle evaluation . If you are renting the car, check with the rental person that the vehicle has been properly checked.
2) Did you know that there are special tires for these situations? They guarantee greater adherence to the ground and, therefore, much more safety! For very extreme situations, such as in snowfall, protect your tires with chains to reinforce safety. Lowering the tire pressure also increases the grip on the ground, but when the snow is more consistent and the accumulation is greater, the use of chains is essential!
3) Keep the gas tank full! This item is very important, especially for some emergency cases in which it will be necessary to recalculate routes and travel a few kilometers more than originally planned.
4) Before leaving home, look for information about road conditions and weather. Informing someone you know about your itinerary and departure time is also valid in these cases! If the weather forecast is not favorable, the ideal is to give up the trip!
5) In addition to a cell phone, some extra coats and blankets, take with you other essential items that can be very useful in emergency situations, such as non-perishable food, shovel, flashlights, first aid kit, tapes and reflective clothing to call the attention of the emergency services if they are triggered by you.